The Houston Astros (58-30) hope to avoid an upset as -206 favorites when they take on Chad Pinder (with homers in two straight contests) and the Oakland Athletics (30-60). First pitch is at 8:10 PM ET Friday, live from Minute Maid Park. Houston’s Jake Odorizzi gets the start, and he’ll go against Oakland’s Cole Irvin.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Athletics
Our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +173 after digging through all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+173) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Athletics Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Jake Odorizzi
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Cole Irvin
- Game Day: Friday, July 15, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Jake Odorizzi
- Odorizzi makes the start for the Astros, his 10th of the season. He is 4-2 with a 3.37 ERA and 31 strikeouts through 42 2/3 innings pitched.
- In his last time out on Sunday, the right-hander threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings against the Oakland Athletics while surrendering four hits.
- The 32-year-old has amassed an ERA of 3.37, with 6.5 strikeouts per nine innings, in nine games this season. Opponents have a .238 batting average against him.
- Odorizzi enters this game with three quality starts under his belt this year.
- Odorizzi heads into this game with five outings of five or more innings pitched this campaign.
- The opposing Athletics offense has a collective .210 batting average, and is last in the league with 618 total hits and 29th in MLB play with 297 runs scored. It has the worst slugging percentage (.332) and ranks 28th in home runs (68) in all of MLB.
- In seven innings over one appearance against the Athletics this season, Odorizzi has a 0 ERA and a 0.714 WHIP while his opponents are batting .167.
Athletics Starter Cole Irvin
- Irvin (3-7) will take to the mound for the Athletics and make his 16th start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last appearance was on Sunday, when he threw 6 2/3 innings against the Houston Astros, giving up two earned runs while allowing five hits.
- The 28-year-old has an ERA of 3.32, a 3.222 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.131 in 15 games this season.
- He’s looking to extend his two-game quality start streak.
- Irvin has 15 starts in a row of five innings or more.
- The Astros are batting .240 this season, 17th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .424 (fifth in the league) with 125 home runs.
- The left-hander has faced the Astros two times this season, allowing them to go 11-for-46 with three doubles and three RBI in 11 2/3 innings.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have been favorites in 72 games this season and won 51 (70.8%) of those contests.
- Houston is 13-6 this season when entering a game favored by -206 or more on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 67.3% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Games involving Houston have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 32 of 89 chances this season.
- The Astros are 47-42-0 against the spread this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have been underdogs in 76 games this season and have come away with the win 25 times (32.9%) in those contests.
- This season, Oakland has come away with a win six times in 17 chances when named as an underdog of at least +173 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 36.6% chance of walking away with the win.
- Oakland and their opponents have hit the over in 37 of their 90 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Athletics have posted a record of 42-48-0 against the spread this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Kyle Tucker leads the Astros with 61 runs batted in.
- Including all MLB hitters, Tucker ranks 74th in batting average, 43rd in on-base percentage, and 36th in slugging.
- Alex Bregman is hitting .243 with 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 52 walks.
- Bregman ranks 71st in home runs and 42nd in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Bregman enters this game looking for his fifth game in a row with a hit. In his last five games he is batting .263 with two doubles, two walks and two RBI.
- Jose Altuve is hitting .277 with 17 doubles, 17 home runs and 36 walks.
- Yuli Gurriel is batting .231 with 24 doubles, seven home runs and 19 walks.
- Gurriel takes a two-game streak with at least one hit into this one. In his last five games he is hitting .200 with a walk and an RBI.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Sean Murphy leads the team in batting average with a high-water mark of .237.
- Murphy is 102nd in home runs and 92nd in RBI among all batters in MLB.
- Elvis Andrus is hitting .223 with 20 doubles, six home runs and 26 walks.
- Andrus is 174th in home runs and 198th in RBI among all major league batters this season.
- Seth Brown paces the Athletics in home runs (10) and runs batted in (38).
- Ramon Laureano is batting .239 with 12 doubles, eight home runs and 21 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price