The Houston Astros (58-31) hope to avoid an upset as -208 favorites when they take on Skye Bolt (with homers in two straight contests) and the Oakland Athletics (31-60). First pitch is at 4:10 PM ET Saturday, live from Minute Maid Park. Justin Verlander will get the ball for Houston while Oakland counter with Jared Koenig.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Athletics
After digging through all of the key stats and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +174. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+174) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Athletics Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Justin Verlander
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Jared Koenig
- Game Day: Saturday, July 16, 2022
- Game Time: 4:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Justin Verlander
- Verlander makes the start for the Astros, his 17th of the season. He is 11-3 with a 2.00 ERA and 98 strikeouts in 103 1/3 innings pitched.
- His most recent time out came on Thursday, July 7 against the Kansas City Royals, when the right-hander went 6 2/3 innings, surrendering one earned run while giving up seven hits.
- The 39-year-old has put up a 2.00 ERA and 8.5 strikeouts per nine innings in 16 games this season, while allowing a batting average of .190 to his opponents.
- Verlander is trying to build upon a third-game quality start streak in this matchup.
- Verlander will try to pitch five or more innings for his fourth straight appearance. He’s averaging 6.1 innings per outing.
- He will face an Athletics offense that ranks last in MLB with 627 total hits (on a .211 batting average). The squad also slugs a collective .333 (30th in MLB) with 69 total home runs (28th in MLB).
- Verlander has pitched seven innings, giving up three earned runs on two hits while striking out six against the Athletics this season.
- This season, the 39-year-old ranks third in ERA (2.00), third in WHIP (.871), and 30th in K/9 (8.5) among qualifying pitchers.
Athletics Starter Jared Koenig
- The Athletics will send Koenig (1-2) to the mound for his fifth start this season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Saturday, June 25, when he threw 4 2/3 innings against the Kansas City Royals, giving up three earned runs.
- The 28-year-old has an ERA of 6.38 and 4.9 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .288 in four games this season.
- Koenig has one start of five or more innings this season in four chances. He averages 4.2 innings per outing.
- The Astros are batting .239 this season, 18th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .421 (fifth in the league) with 125 home runs.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Astros have been favored 73 times and won 51, or 69.9%, of those games.
- This season, Houston has won 13 of its 20 games, or 65%, when favored by at least -208 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 67.5% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Games involving Houston have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 32 of 90 chances this season.
- The Astros are 47-43-0 against the spread in their 90 chances this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have been victorious in 26, or 33.8%, of the 77 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- Oakland has a mark of 6-10 in contests where oddsmakers favor them by +174 or worse on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Athletics have a 36.5% chance of pulling out a win.
- Oakland’s games have gone over the total in 37 of their 91 opportunities.
- The Athletics are 43-48-0 against the spread in their 91 games that had a posted line this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Kyle Tucker has been the Astros top run producer this season, leading the team with 61 RBI while hitting .253 with 17 home runs.
- Of all hitters in the majors, Tucker’s home run total places him 23rd, and his RBI tally ranks him eighth.
- Alex Bregman has 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 52 walks while batting .243.
- Bregman ranks 72nd in home runs and 45th in RBI among all hitters in the majors.
- Bregman carries a five-game streak with at least one hit into this contest. During his last five outings he is batting .300 with two doubles, two walks and two RBI.
- Jose Altuve is batting .277 with 17 doubles, 17 home runs and 36 walks.
- Yuli Gurriel is hitting .231 with 24 doubles, seven home runs and 19 walks.
- Gurriel brings a two-game streak with at least one hit into this one. In his last five games he is hitting .200 with a walk and an RBI.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Elvis Andrus is batting .224 with 20 doubles, six home runs and 26 walks.
- In all of the majors, Andrus is 174th in homers and 182nd in RBI.
- Sean Murphy has a club-leading .237 batting average.
- Murphy is 101st overall in home runs and 95th in RBI this season.
- Seth Brown leads the Athletics in home runs (10) and runs batted in (38).
- Ramon Laureano is hitting .235 with 12 doubles, eight home runs and 21 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price