The Houston Astros (64-32) will put their five-game win streak to the test when they visit the Oakland Athletics (35-63) Monday at 9:40 PM ET. Sportsbooks consider the Astros -227 favorites to extend their streak, while the Athletics are +187 underdogs looking for the upset. Houston’s Jake Odorizzi and Oakland’s Adam Oller have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Athletics
We have the Athletics on the moneyline at +187 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after analyzing all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+187) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Athletics Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Jake Odorizzi
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Adam Oller
- Game Day: Monday, July 25, 2022
- Game Time: 9:40 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland Coliseum
Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Jake Odorizzi
- Odorizzi (4-2 with a 3.56 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 48 innings pitched) gets the start for the Astros, his 11th of the season.
- The righty last pitched on Sunday, July 17 against the Oakland Athletics, when he threw 5 1/3 innings, allowing three earned runs while giving up five hits.
- The 32-year-old has put up a 3.56 ERA and 6.8 strikeouts per nine innings across 10 games this season, while allowing a batting average of .238 to his opponents.
- Odorizzi has three quality starts this year.
- Odorizzi is seeking his third straight outing lasting five or more innings. He averages 4.2 innings per appearance on the mound.
- The opposing Athletics offense has a collective .213 batting average, and is last in the league with 684 total hits and 29th in MLB play with 329 runs scored. It has the 29th-ranked slugging percentage (.338) and ranks 26th in home runs (78) in all of MLB.
- Odorizzi has pitched 12 1/3 innings, giving up three earned runs on nine hits while striking out 12 against the Athletics this season.
Athletics Starter Adam Oller
- The Athletics will hand the ball to Oller (0-3) for his sixth start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up three earned runs and allowed six hits in 4 1/3 innings pitched against the Houston Astros on Sunday, July 17.
- The 27-year-old has pitched in 10 games this season with an ERA of 8.56, a 0.947 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.976.
- None of Oller’s five starts this season have met the criteria for a quality start.
- In five starts this season, Oller has lasted five or more innings two times, with an average of 2.2 innings per appearance.
- The Astros are batting .241 this season, 16th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .424 (fifth in the league) with 136 home runs.
- The right-hander has allowed the Astros to go 6-for-19 with a double, two home runs and three RBI in 4 1/3 innings this season.
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- The Astros have won 57, or 71.2%, of the 80 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- This season, Houston has won 13 of its 18 games, or 72.2%, when favored by at least -227 on the moneyline.
- The implied probability of a win from the Astros, based on the moneyline, is 69.4%.
- So far this season, Houston and its opponents have hit the over in 34 of their 97 games with a total.
- The Astros are 52-45-0 against the spread this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have won in 29, or 34.9%, of the 83 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Oakland has a win-loss record of 4-10 when favored by +187 or worse by sportsbooks this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 34.8% chance of walking away with the win.
- Oakland and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 40 of their 98 opportunities.
- The Athletics are 47-51-0 against the spread in their 98 games that had a posted line this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yordan Alvarez is the bat to watch in the Astros lineup, leading the team in batting average (.307), home runs (28), and RBI (65).
- In all of Major League Baseball, Alvarez is third in home runs and eighth in RBI.
- Kyle Tucker is batting .249 with 13 doubles, 18 home runs and 43 walks.
- Tucker ranks 23rd in home runs in baseball, and ninth in RBI.
- Tucker carries a two-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .200 with a double and an RBI.
- Jose Altuve is hitting .278 with 17 doubles, 19 home runs and 36 walks.
- Altuve has at least one base hit in three games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .318 with two home runs and three RBI.
- Alex Bregman is hitting .241 with 22 doubles, 12 home runs and 53 walks.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Sean Murphy leads the Athletics with a .245 batting average.
- Murphy is 83rd in homers and 81st in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Murphy has collected a hit in four games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .333 with a double, two home runs, six walks and four RBI.
- Elvis Andrus is batting .229 with 21 doubles, six home runs and 29 walks.
- Among all MLB hitters, Andrus is 184th in home runs and 203rd in RBI.
- Seth Brown has been a significant run producer for the Athletics with 12 home runs and 41 runs batted in.
- Ramon Laureano is hitting .230 with 13 doubles, 10 home runs and 22 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price