The Houston Astros (94-50) will vie for their sixth straight victory when they host the Oakland Athletics (52-92) on Friday at 8:10 PM ET. The Astros are listed as -374 favorites by oddsmakers, while the Athletics are +292 underdogs. Houston’s Justin Verlander and Oakland’s Adrian Martinez have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Athletics
Our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +292 after analyzing all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will over the total of 7.5 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+292) and Over (7.5)
Astros vs. Athletics Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Justin Verlander
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Adrian Martinez
- Game Day: Friday, September 16, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Justin Verlander
- Verlander will start for the Astros, his first this season.
- It’s the first appearance this season for the 39-year-old righty, and his first outing in more than a year.
- The Athletics have MLB’s 29th-ranked scoring offense (503 total runs) and have put up a .217 batting average as a team while hitting 123 home runs (26th in the league) this season.
Athletics Starter Adrian Martinez
- The Athletics’ Martinez (4-4) will make his ninth start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Saturday, when he threw 3 2/3 innings against the Chicago White Sox, giving up seven earned runs while allowing 14 hits.
- The 25-year-old has pitched in eight games this season with an ERA of 5.59 and 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .301.
- He has started eight games this season, earning a quality start (6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER) in one of them.
- Martinez has four starts of five or more innings this season in eight chances. He averages 4.3 innings per outing.
- The Astros rank ninth in MLB with 652 runs scored this season. They have a .245 batting average this campaign with 188 home runs (fifth in the league).
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Astros have been favored 124 times and won 86, or 69.4%, of those games.
- Houston has not entered a game this season as a bigger favorite on the moneyline than the -374 odds on them winning this game.
- The bookmakers’ moneyline implies a 78.9% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Houston’s games have gone over the total in 52 of their 145 chances.
- In 145 games with a spread this season, the Astros are 78-67-0 ATS.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have won in 45, or 36%, of the 125 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Oakland has played as an underdog of +292 or more just one time this year and came away with a loss in that game.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 25.5% chance of walking away with the win.
- Contests with Oakland have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 65 of 144 chances this season.
- The Athletics have an against the spread mark of 69-75-0 in 144 games with a line this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Alex Bregman is hitting .267 with 35 doubles, 21 home runs and 82 walks.
- In all of the majors, Bregman ranks 47th in homers and 18th in RBI.
- Yordan Alvarez has shown his power as he leads his team with 33 home runs with a team-leading .297 batting average.
- Alvarez ranks ninth in homers and 18th in RBI among all MLB hitters this year.
- Alvarez has six games in a row with at least one hit. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .324 with five doubles, two home runs, eight walks and five RBI.
- Kyle Tucker has a team-best 97 runs batted in.
- Tucker has at least one base hit in five straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .409 with two doubles, three home runs, a walk and nine RBI.
- Jose Altuve is hitting .288 with 33 doubles, 24 home runs and 58 walks.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Sean Murphy leads the Athletics with 64 runs batted in while racking up a team-best batting average of .253.
- Among all batters in MLB, Murphy’s home run total is 63rd and his RBI tally is 63rd.
- Murphy has collected a hit in two games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .250 with two doubles, a triple, three walks and an RBI.
- Tony Kemp is hitting .233 with 22 doubles, a triple, six home runs and 41 walks.
- Kemp ranks 248th among all hitters in the big leagues in homers, and 185th in RBI.
- Seth Brown leads the Athletics with 22 long balls.
- Ramon Laureano is batting .212 with 18 doubles, 13 home runs and 25 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price