Christian Vazquez is on the brink of his 100th hit of the season for the Houston Astros (92-50) as they get set to take on the Detroit Tigers (53-88) on Wednesday. The Astros enter the matchup as -270 favorites on the moneyline, and action gets underway from Comerica Park at 1:10 PM ET. Houston’s Cristian Javier and Detroit’s Joey Wentz have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Astros vs. Tigers Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Astros vs. Tigers
Our best bet is the Tigers on the moneyline at +220 after looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer projects the total score will over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Detroit Tigers (+220) and Over (8)
Astros vs. Tigers Game Info
- Houston Astros probable starting pitcher: Cristian Javier
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Joey Wentz
- Game Day: Wednesday, September 14, 2022
- Game Time: 1:10 PM ET
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
- Stadium: Comerica Park
Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers Pitching Matchup
Astros Starter Cristian Javier
- Javier gets the start for the Astros, his 22nd of the season. He is 8-9 with a 3.01 ERA and 165 strikeouts in 125 2/3 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last pitched on Thursday against the Texas Rangers, when he tossed 5 1/3 innings, allowing one earned run while giving up four hits.
- In 26 games this season, the 25-year-old has an ERA of 3.01, with 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .183 against him.
- Javier has eight quality starts under his belt this year.
- Javier will try to prolong a three-game streak of lasting five or more innings (he’s averaging 4.3 frames per outing).
- He will take the mound against a Tigers offense that ranks 25th in MLB with 1080 total hits (on a .230 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .342 (30th in MLB) with 89 total home runs (30th in MLB).
- Javier has a 0.00 ERA and a 0.333 WHIP against the Tigers this season in three innings pitched, allowing a .000 batting average over one appearance.
Tigers Starter Joey Wentz
- Wentz (1-1) will take to the mound for the Tigers and make his fourth start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Saturday, when he allowed two hits in 6 2/3 scoreless innings against the Kansas City Royals.
- The 24-year-old has pitched in three games this season with an ERA of 4.05 and 6.8 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .213.
- He has one quality starts in three chances this season.
- Wentz has made one start of five or more innings in three chances this season, and averages 4.1 frames when he pitches.
- The Astros rank ninth in MLB with 645 runs scored this season. They have a .246 batting average this campaign with 186 home runs (fifth in the league).
Astros Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Astros have been favored 122 times and won 84, or 68.9%, of those games.
- Houston is 9-5 this season when entering a game favored by -270 or more on the moneyline.
- The sportsbooks’ moneyline implies a 73% chance of a victory for the Astros.
- Houston and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 52 of their 143 opportunities.
- In 143 games with a spread this season, the Astros are 77-66-0 ATS.
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have come away with 44 wins in the 120 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- This season, Detroit has been victorious three times in nine chances when named as an underdog of at least +220 or longer on the moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Tigers have a 31.2% chance of pulling out a win.
- Detroit and their opponents have hit the over in 52 of their 143 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Tigers have posted a record of 64-79-0 against the spread this season.
Astros Leaders & Batting Stats
- Alex Bregman is hitting .268 with 35 doubles, 21 home runs and 81 walks.
- In all of MLB, Bregman is 45th in homers and 19th in RBI.
- Bregman takes a hitting streak of four games into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .294 with a double, a home run, five walks and six RBI.
- Yordan Alvarez has put his power on display as he leads his team with 33 home runs with a team-high .295 batting average.
- Including all MLB hitters, Alvarez is ninth in home runs and 19th in RBI.
- Alvarez enters this matchup looking for his sixth game in a row with a hit. During his last five outings he is batting .438 with three doubles, two home runs, six walks and two RBI.
- Kyle Tucker has racked up a team-high 95 runs batted in.
- Tucker will look to build on his three-game hitting in this matchup. In his last five games he is batting .182 with a double, two home runs, a walk and seven RBI.
- Jose Altuve is batting .291 with 33 doubles, 24 home runs and 57 walks.
- Altuve has recorded at least one hit in four games in a row. In his last five games he is batting .364 with .
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- Javier Baez has posted a team-high batting average of .231 while pacing the Tigers in runs batted in with a mark of 55.
- Among all batters in the big leagues, Baez is 135th in home runs and 92nd in RBI.
- Baez takes a hitting streak of two games into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .250 with a double, a triple and three RBI.
- Harold Castro is hitting .270 with 19 doubles, two triples, six home runs and 16 walks.
- Castro ranks 246th in home runs and 175th in RBI among all batters in MLB.
- Jeimer Candelario leads the Tigers with 13 long balls.
- Willi Castro is batting .240 with 18 doubles, two triples, six home runs and 14 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price