The Toronto Blue Jays (44-38) will try to put a stop to their current five-game losing streak when they visit the Oakland Athletics (28-55) at 3:37 PM ET Wednesday. Sportsbooks consider the Blue Jays to be -184 favorites to end their skid, while the Athletics are +156 underdogs looking for the upset. Toronto’s Jose Berrios and Oakland’s James Kaprielian have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Blue Jays vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Blue Jays vs. Athletics
Our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +156 after taking a look at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+156) and Over (8)
Blue Jays vs. Athletics Game Info
- Toronto Blue Jays probable starting pitcher: José Berríos
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: James Kaprielian
- Game Day: Wednesday, July 6, 2022
- Game Time: 3:37 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland Coliseum
Toronto Blue Jays vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Blue Jays Starter José Berríos
- Berrios (6-4) gets the starting nod for the Blue Jays in his 17th start of the season. He’s put together a 5.72 ERA in 83 1/3 innings pitched, with 67 strikeouts.
- His last appearance was on Friday against the Tampa Bay Rays, when the righty went 5 2/3 innings, surrendering two earned runs while allowing eight hits.
- In 16 games this season, the 28-year-old has put up an ERA of 5.72, with 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .287 against him.
- Berrios is trying to secure his eighth quality start of the season in this game.
- Berrios has 11 starts this year in which he pitched five or more innings.
- The opposing Athletics offense has a collective .212 batting average, and is last in the league with 572 total hits and 29th in MLB action with 265 runs scored. It has the worst slugging percentage (.330) and ranks 29th in home runs (59) in all of MLB.
- Among qualifying pitchers in MLB action this season, the 28-year-old’s 5.72 ERA ranks 63rd, 1.428 WHIP ranks 60th, and 7.2 K/9 ranks 49th.
Athletics Starter James Kaprielian
- The Athletics will hand the ball to Kaprielian (1-5) for his 13th start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Saturday, when he gave up one earned run and allowed three hits in 6 2/3 innings against the Seattle Mariners.
- The 28-year-old has an ERA of 5.43, a 1.481 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.379 in 12 games this season.
- In 12 starts this season, he’s earned one quality start.
- Kaprielian will look to pitch five or more innings for the fourth start in a row.
- The Blue Jays are batting .258 this season, third in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .433 (second in the league) with 106 home runs.
Blue Jays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Blue Jays have won 35, or 54.7%, of the 64 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Toronto has a record of 12-11 in games where bookmakers favor them by at least -184 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 64.8% chance of a victory for the Blue Jays.
- Games involving Toronto have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 46 of 81 chances this season.
- The Blue Jays are 35-46-0 against the spread in their 81 chances this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have won in 23, or 33.3%, of the 69 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- This season, Oakland has been victorious seven times in 25 chances when named as an underdog of at least +156 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 39.1% chance of walking away with the win.
- Oakland and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 34 of their 83 opportunities.
- The Athletics are 39-44-0 against the spread in their 83 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Blue Jays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is the Blue Jays best power hitter, hitting 19 home runs this season in addition to delivering 53 RBI, both team highs.
- Guerrero’s home runs put him 12th in MLB, and he ranks 13th in RBI.
- Alejandro Kirk has a club-high .314 batting average.
- Kirk ranks 73rd in home runs and 101st in RBI among all major league batters this year.
- Kirk has two games in a row with at least one hit. During his last five outings he is hitting .250 with a double, a walk and two RBI.
- George Springer is hitting .250 with 12 doubles, two triples, 15 home runs and 30 walks.
- Bo Bichette is batting .257 with 20 doubles, 12 home runs and 21 walks.
- Bichette takes a 10-game streak with at least one hit into this one. During his last 10 outings he is batting .286 with five doubles, two walks and four RBI.
|Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||81||.265||.350||.493||19||53||81|
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Elvis Andrus paces the Athletics with a .225 batting average.
- Andrus’ home run total places him 183rd in the big leagues, and he is 209th in RBI.
- Sean Murphy’s .225 batting average leads his team.
- Murphy ranks 89th among all hitters in MLB in homers, and 89th in RBI.
- Seth Brown has been solid source of run production for the Athletics with 10 long balls and 36 runs batted in.
- Tony Kemp is hitting .213 with nine doubles, two home runs and 25 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price