The Philadelphia Phillies (55-48) are +116 underdogs for their Wednesday matchup with the Atlanta Braves (63-41). Zack Wheeler gets the ball for the Phillies and will look to upset the Braves and earn his 10th win of the campaign. Atlanta’s Charlie Morton and Philadelphia’s Wheeler have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Braves vs. Phillies Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Braves vs. Phillies
We have the Phillies on the moneyline at +116 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after digging through all of the key stats and trends for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 7.5 runs.
Our computer pick: Philadelphia Phillies (+116) and Over (7.5)
Braves vs. Phillies Game Info
- Atlanta Braves probable starting pitcher: Charlie Morton
- Philadelphia Phillies probable starting pitcher: Zack Wheeler
- Game Day: Wednesday, August 3, 2022
- Game Time: 12:20 PM ET
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
- Stadium: Truist Park
Atlanta Braves vs Philadelphia Phillies Pitching Matchup
Braves Starter Charlie Morton
- Morton (5-5) gets the starting nod for the Braves in his 21st start of the season. He’s put together a 4.34 ERA in 110 innings pitched, with 126 strikeouts.
- The right-hander last appeared on Wednesday against the Philadelphia Phillies, when he threw 5 2/3 innings, allowing four earned runs while giving up six hits.
- In 20 games this season, the 38-year-old has put up an ERA of 4.34, with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .233 against him.
- Morton has registered six quality starts this year.
- Morton will try to continue a 12-game streak of going five or more innings (he’s averaging 5.2 innings per appearance).
- He meets a Phillies offense that ranks seventh in the league with 477 runs while batting .247 as a squad. It has a collective .414 slugging percentage (eighth in MLB action) and has hit a total of 131 home runs (seventh in MLB).
- In 15 innings over three appearances against the Phillies this season, Morton has a 6 ERA and a 1.933 WHIP while his opponents are hitting .355.
- Among qualifying pitchers in MLB action this season, the 38-year-old’s 4.34 ERA ranks 53rd, 1.245 WHIP ranks 43rd, and 10.3 K/9 ranks seventh.
Phillies Starter Zack Wheeler
- The Phillies will hand the ball to Wheeler (9-5) for his 20th start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up two earned runs in 7 2/3 innings pitched on Thursday in his last outing, a matchup with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- The 32-year-old has an ERA of 2.77, a 4.88 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.029 in 19 games this season.
- He’s going for his third quality start in a row.
- Wheeler has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Braves rank 10th in MLB with a .250 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks third in the league (.443) and 160 home runs.
- The right-hander has allowed the Braves to go 13-for-50 with three doubles, two home runs and five RBI in 13 innings this season.
- The 32-year-old’s 2.77 ERA ranks 13th, 1.029 WHIP ranks 14th, and 9.7 K/9 ranks 12th among qualified pitchers in the majors this season.
Braves Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Braves have been favored 81 times and won 54, or 66.7%, of those games.
- Atlanta has entered 70 games this season favored by -136 or more and is 49-21 in those contests.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 57.6% chance of a victory for the Braves.
- Games involving Atlanta have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in 51 of 103 chances this season.
- In 103 games with a spread this season, the Braves are 52-51-0 ATS.
Phillies Betting Picks & Insights
- The Phillies have won in 19, or 47.5%, of the 40 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- This season, Philadelphia has come away with a win 13 times in 23 chances when named as an underdog of at least +116 or longer on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Phillies have a 46.3% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Philadelphia and their opponents have gone over in 54 of their 103 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Phillies have posted a record of 54-49-0 against the spread this season.
Braves Leaders & Batting Stats
- The Braves best power option comes in the form of Austin Riley and his 29-homer 68-RBI season, both team highs.
- Riley’s home runs rank him fourth in the majors, and he is ninth in RBI.
- Riley brings a hitting streak of four games into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .350 with four doubles, a home run, a walk and four RBI.
- Matt Olson has 35 doubles, 21 home runs and 52 walks while batting .251.
- Olson ranks 17th in homers and 11th in RBI in the bigs.
- Dansby Swanson paces the Braves with a team-best batting average of .301.
- Swanson is on a six-game hitting streak entering this contest. In his last 10 games he is batting .359 with a double, four walks and two RBI.
- Marcell Ozuna has 13 doubles, 19 home runs and 27 walks while batting .224.
|Ronald Acuña Jr.||68||.259||.357||.391||8||24||69|
Phillies Leaders & Batting Stats
- Kyle Schwarber paces the Phillies with 33 home runs and runs batted in, driving in 66.
- Among all hitters in the majors, Schwarber’s home run total ranks second and his RBI tally ranks 12th.
- Rhys Hoskins is batting .249 with 20 doubles, two triples, 20 home runs and 48 walks.
- Hoskins is 23rd among all batters in the majors in homers, and 62nd in RBI.
- J.T. Realmuto is batting .262 with 15 doubles, two triples, 10 home runs and 30 walks.
- Alec Bohm leads the Phillies with a team-leading batting average of .296.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price