Tommy Edman (12 games) will look to add to his hitting streak when the St. Louis Cardinals (81-58) and Pittsburgh Pirates (51-86) meet Saturday at 7:35 PM ET, live on SportsNet PT from PNC Park. Edman and the Cardinals are favored by bookmakers with -206 odds on the moneyline. St. Louis’ Jack Flaherty and Pittsburgh’s JT Brubaker have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Cardinals vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cardinals vs. Pirates
After analyzing all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +173. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 7.5 runs.
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+173) and Over (7.5)
Cardinals vs. Pirates Game Info
- St. Louis Cardinals probable starting pitcher: Jack Flaherty
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: JT Brubaker
- Game Day: Saturday, September 10, 2022
- Game Time: 7:35 PM ET
- TV Channel: SportsNet PT
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
St. Louis Cardinals vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cardinals Starter Jack Flaherty
- Flaherty (0-1 with a 4.15 ERA and 12 strikeouts in 13 innings pitched) gets the start for the Cardinals, his fifth of the season.
- The righty last appeared on Monday against the Washington Nationals, when he tossed five innings, allowing one earned run while giving up six hits.
- The 26-year-old has a 4.15 ERA and 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings in four games this season, while giving up a batting average of .269 to his opponents.
- He will face a Pirates offense that ranks 28th in the league with 484 runs while batting .221 as a squad. It has a collective .361 slugging percentage (28th in MLB action) and has hit a total of 132 home runs (19th in MLB).
- Flaherty has thrown three innings, giving up three earned runs on four hits while striking out three against the Pirates this season.
Pirates Starter JT Brubaker
- Brubaker (3-11) will take to the mound for the Pirates and make his 26th start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last start was on Sunday, when he tossed 5 1/3 innings while giving up two earned runs on five hits in a matchup with the Toronto Blue Jays.
- The 28-year-old has pitched to a 4.35 ERA this season with 9.3 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 3.3 walks per nine across 25 games.
- He has earned a quality start seven times in 25 starts this season.
- Brubaker will look to pitch five or more innings for the fifth start in a row.
- The Cardinals have scored 680 runs this season, which ranks third in MLB. They have 1215 hits, fifth in baseball, with 175 home runs (sixth in the league).
- The right-hander has faced the Cardinals two times this season, allowing them to go 11-for-39 with a double, two home runs and six RBI in 8 1/3 innings.
Cardinals Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Cardinals have been favored 86 times and won 58, or 67.4%, of those games.
- St. Louis has entered 16 games this season favored by -206 or more and is 11-5 in those contests.
- The Cardinals have a 67.3% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- Games involving St. Louis have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in 68 of 142 chances this season.
- The Cardinals are 79-62-0 ATS in their 141 games with a spread this season.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won in 42, or 35.3%, of the 119 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Pittsburgh has a win-loss record of 13-29 when favored by +173 or worse by sportsbooks this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 36.6% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Pittsburgh and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 62 of their 138 opportunities.
- The Pirates are 68-70-0 against the spread in their 138 games that had a posted line this season.
Cardinals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Not only does Paul Goldschmidt lead the Cardinals in hitting with his .327 average, he also paces the squad with 35 home runs and 109 RBI.
- In all of Major League Baseball, Goldschmidt ranks third in home runs and second in RBI.
- Goldschmidt has collected a hit in four straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .235 with a double, a home run, three walks and two RBI.
- Nolan Arenado has 37 doubles, a triple, 28 home runs and 44 walks while batting .299.
- Including all MLB batters, Arenado is 13th in homers and sixth in RBI.
- Edman is batting .267 with 28 doubles, four triples, 13 home runs and 40 walks.
- Edman will look to build on his 12-game hitting in this matchup. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .421 with five doubles, three home runs, a walk and eight RBI.
- Brendan Donovan is hitting .292 with 18 doubles, a triple, three home runs and 46 walks.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Bryan Reynolds paces the Pirates in home runs (21), runs batted in (50) and has put up a team-high batting average of .256.
- Reynolds’ home run total puts him 41st in MLB, and he ranks 113th in RBI.
- Reynolds brings a hitting streak of two games into this game. During his last five outings he is batting .316 with a double, two walks and two RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is batting .243 with 20 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 41 walks.
- Hayes is 238th among all hitters in the big leagues in home runs, and 198th in RBI.
- Ben Gamel is hitting .236 with 18 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 39 walks.
- Michael Chavis is batting .238 with 14 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs and 14 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price