The St. Louis Cardinals (82-58) and the Pittsburgh Pirates (51-87) meet in the rubber match of a three-game series on Sunday at 1:35 PM ET. The Cardinals are -211 favorites on the moneyline to win the series over the Pirates (+176). Jose Quintana will get the ball for St. Louis while Pittsburgh counter with Mitch Keller.
Table of Contents
Cardinals vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cardinals vs. Pirates
We have the Pirates on the moneyline at +176 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+176) and Over (8)
Cardinals vs. Pirates Game Info
- St. Louis Cardinals probable starting pitcher: José Quintana
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Mitch Keller
- Game Day: Sunday, September 11, 2022
- Game Time: 1:35 PM ET
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: PNC Park
St. Louis Cardinals vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cardinals Starter José Quintana
- Quintana makes the start for the Cardinals, his 28th of the season. He is 5-6 with a 3.41 ERA and 114 strikeouts in 137 1/3 innings pitched.
- The left-hander last appeared on Tuesday against the Washington Nationals, when he tossed five innings, allowing one earned run while giving up five hits.
- The 33-year-old has an ERA of 3.41, with 7.5 strikeouts per nine innings, in 27 games this season. Opposing hitters have a .260 batting average against him.
- Quintana enters the matchup with seven quality starts under his belt this season.
- Quintana enters this matchup with 19 outings of five or more innings pitched this year.
- The opposing Pirates offense has the 27th-ranked slugging percentage (.363) and ranks 19th in MLB play with 135 home runs. It has a collective .222 batting average, and is 29th in MLB with 1005 total hits and 28th in MLB play scoring 489 runs.
Pirates Starter Mitch Keller
- Keller (5-10) will take to the mound for the Pirates and make his 25th start of the season.
- The right-hander allowed five hits in six scoreless innings pitched against the New York Mets on Tuesday.
- The 26-year-old has an ERA of 4.22 and 7.5 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .277 in 26 games this season.
- He’s looking to extend his two-game quality start streak.
- Keller has two starts in a row of five innings or more.
- The Cardinals rank seventh in MLB with a .257 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks third in the league (.430) and 177 home runs.
- The right-hander has allowed the Cardinals to go 13-for-40 with three doubles, a home run and six RBI in 9 1/3 innings this season.
Cardinals Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Cardinals have been favored 87 times and won 59, or 67.8%, of those games.
- St. Louis has a record of 11-4 in games where sportsbooks favor them by at least -211 on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cardinals have a 67.8% chance to win.
- St. Louis and its opponents have hit the over in 69 of their 143 games with a total this season.
- The Cardinals are 80-62-0 against the spread in their 142 chances this season.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have won in 42, or 35%, of the 120 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- Pittsburgh has a win-loss record of 13-26 when favored by +176 or worse by sportsbooks this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 36.2% chance of walking away with the win.
- Pittsburgh’s games have gone over the total in 63 of their 139 opportunities.
- The Pirates have an against the spread mark of 68-71-0 in 139 games with a line this season.
Cardinals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Paul Goldschmidt is the bat to watch in the Cardinals lineup, leading the team in batting average (.325), home runs (35), and RBI (109).
- Among all hitters in the majors, Goldschmidt is third in homers and second in RBI.
- Nolan Arenado is batting .298 with 38 doubles, a triple, 28 home runs and 44 walks.
- Arenado is 13th in home runs and seventh in RBI among all batters in MLB.
- Arenado has two games in a row with at least one hit. During his last five outings he is batting .238 with two doubles and four RBI.
- Tommy Edman is hitting .267 with 28 doubles, four triples, 13 home runs and 40 walks.
- Edman is on a 12-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last nine outings he is hitting .429 with five doubles, two home runs, a walk and seven RBI.
- Brendan Donovan has 18 doubles, a triple, four home runs and 46 walks while batting .291.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Bryan Reynolds paces the Pirates with 21 home runs and 51 runs batted in, while recording a team-best batting average of .256.
- Reynolds ranks 42nd in homers and 111th in RBI among all batters in MLB.
- Reynolds carries a three-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .350 with a double, two walks and three RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .242 with 20 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 43 walks.
- Hayes is 241st overall in homers and 202nd in RBI this season.
- Ben Gamel is hitting .234 with 18 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 39 walks.
- Michael Chavis is batting .236 with 14 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs and 15 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price