The St. Louis Cardinals (50-44) will meet the Cincinnati Reds (34-57) on Sunday at 2:15 PM ET. Nolan Arenado will be looking for his 98th hit of the season for the favored Cardinals (-162) when the game gets underway at Busch Stadium. St. Louis’ Steven Matz gets the start, and he’ll go against Cincinnati’s Graham Ashcraft.
Table of Contents
Cardinals vs. Reds Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cardinals vs. Reds
We have the Reds on the moneyline at +140 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 9 runs.
Our computer pick: Cincinnati Reds (+140) and Over (9)
Cardinals vs. Reds Game Info
- St. Louis Cardinals probable starting pitcher: Steven Matz
- Cincinnati Reds probable starting pitcher: Graham Ashcraft
- Game Day: Sunday, July 17, 2022
- Game Time: 2:15 PM ET
- Location: St. Louis, Missouri
- Stadium: Busch Stadium
St. Louis Cardinals vs Cincinnati Reds Pitching Matchup
Cardinals Starter Steven Matz
- Matz will make his first start of the season for the Cardinals.
- It’s the first appearance this season for the 31-year-old southpaw, and his first outing in more than a year.
- The Reds rank 18th in MLB action with 390 runs scored this season, and are batting .240 with 84 home runs (22nd in baseball).
Reds Starter Graham Ashcraft
- Ashcraft (4-2) will take the mound for the Reds, his 11th start of the season.
- The right-hander last pitched on Tuesday, when he gave up three earned runs and allowed seven hits in 5 2/3 innings against the New York Yankees.
- The 24-year-old has an ERA of 4.45 and 5.3 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .277 in 10 games this season.
- He has earned a quality start five times in 10 starts this season.
- Ashcraft has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Cardinals are batting .251 this season, eighth in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .403 (11th in the league) with 99 home runs.
- The right-hander has faced the Cardinals one time this season, allowing them to go 9-for-25 with a double, a home run and four RBI in 4 2/3 innings.
Cardinals Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Cardinals have won 30 out of the 47 games, or 63.8%, in which they’ve been favored.
- St. Louis has entered 19 games this season favored by -162 or more and is 12-7 in those contests.
- The Cardinals have a 61.8% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- St. Louis and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 44 of their 95 opportunities.
- The Cardinals are 51-43-0 ATS in their 94 games with a spread this season.
Reds Betting Picks & Insights
- The Reds have come away with 28 wins in the 73 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Cincinnati has a mark of 13-28 in contests where bookmakers favor them by +140 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Reds have an implied victory probability of 41.7% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Contests with Cincinnati have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 50 of 93 chances this season.
- The Reds have an against the spread record of 43-50-0 in 93 games with a line this season.
Cardinals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Paul Goldschmidt is the bat to watch in the Cardinals lineup, leading the team in batting average (.330), home runs (20), and RBI (70).
- Including all MLB batters, Goldschmidt ranks second in batting average, second in on-base percentage, and fifth in slugging.
- Arenado is hitting .293 with 21 doubles, a triple, 18 home runs and 33 walks.
- Arenado is 21st in home runs in the majors, and 13th in RBI.
- Tommy Edman is batting .259 with 16 doubles, three triples, seven home runs and 31 walks.
- Edman is on a two-game hitting streak entering this contest. In his last five games he is hitting .333 with three doubles and a walk.
- Dylan Carlson is hitting .257 with 19 doubles, three triples, five home runs and 25 walks.
- Carlson is riding a three-game hitting streak into this one. In his last five games he is hitting .211 with two doubles, a triple, five walks and two RBI.
Reds Leaders & Batting Stats
- Brandon Drury paces the Reds with 18 home runs and 52 runs batted in, while recording a team-high batting average of .275.
- In all of MLB, Drury ranks 21st in homers and 24th in RBI.
- Drury takes a hitting streak of nine games into this game. In his last 10 outings he is batting .333 with four doubles, a triple, a home run, three walks and seven RBI.
- Tommy Pham is hitting .242 with 10 doubles, a triple, 11 home runs and 40 walks.
- Among all major league batters, Pham ranks 72nd in home runs and 96th in RBI.
- Kyle Farmer has 17 doubles, six home runs and 20 walks while batting .264.
- Tyler Stephenson is batting .319 with nine doubles, six home runs and 12 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price