The Chicago Cubs (41-63) hope to avoid their sixth straight defeat when they host the Miami Marlins (48-57) Friday at 2:20 PM ET. The Cubs are listed as -139 favorites to snap their losing skid, while the Marlins are +118 underdogs. Chicago will send Justin Steele out to start this one, while Miami has not yet named a starter.
Table of Contents
Cubs vs. Marlins Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cubs vs. Marlins
Our best bet is the Marlins on the moneyline at +118 after digging through all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer predicts the scoring will over the total of 7.5 runs.
Our computer pick: Miami Marlins (+118) and Over (7.5)
Cubs vs. Marlins Game Info
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Justin Steele
- Game Day: Friday, August 5, 2022
- Game Time: 2:20 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Cubs Starter Justin Steele
- Steele gets the start for the Cubs, his 20th of the season. He is 4-7 with a 3.86 ERA and 87 strikeouts through 91 innings pitched.
- The 27-year-old has an ERA of 3.86, with 8.6 strikeouts per nine innings, in 19 games this season. Opponents are hitting .249 against him.
- Steele enters this matchup with five quality starts under his belt this year.
- Steele has put up 12 starts this season in which he pitched five or more innings.
- He will face a Marlins team that is hitting .237 as a unit (22nd in MLB). It is also slugging a collective .374 (27th in MLB) with 98 total home runs (20th in MLB).
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have entered the game as favorites 29 times this season and won 12, or 41.4%, of those games.
- Chicago is 5-7 this season when entering a game favored by -139 or more on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Cubs have a 58.2% chance to win.
- Chicago and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 48 of their 106 opportunities.
- The Cubs are 54-52-0 ATS in their 106 games with a spread this season.
Marlins Betting Picks & Insights
- The Marlins have come away with 19 wins in the 56 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- This year, Miami has won nine of 32 games when listed as at least +118 or worse on the moneyline.
- Oddsmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Marlins have a 45.9% chance of pulling out a win.
- Miami’s games have gone over the total in 50 of their 105 opportunities.
- In 105 games with a line this season, the Marlins have a mark of 46-59-0 against the spread.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Willson Contreras is great at finding his way aboard when he’s at the plate. Contreras leads the Cubs this season with a .369 OBP and 83 hits.
- Including all MLB hitters, Contreras is 82nd in batting average, 17th in on-base percentage, and 37th in slugging.
- Ian Happ is hitting .273 with 25 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 walks.
- Happ ranks 136th in homers and 74th in RBI in the major leagues.
- Nico Hoerner leads the Cubs with a .292 batting average.
- Patrick Wisdom has shown off his power as he leads his team with 20 home runs and 52 runs batted in.
Marlins Leaders & Batting Stats
- Jesus Aguilar is hitting .243 with 16 doubles, 13 home runs and 23 walks, while getting on base at a rate of .290.
- Among all hitters in the majors, Aguilar’s home run total is 72nd and his RBI tally ranks 86th.
- Aguilar carries a two-game hitting streak into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .133 with a double, a home run, two walks and an RBI.
- Miguel Rojas is batting .238 with 14 doubles, a triple, six home runs and 19 walks.
- Among all major league hitters, Rojas ranks 197th in home runs and 196th in RBI.
- Garrett Cooper leads the Marlins’ lineup with a .278 batting average.
- Joey Wendle is hitting .268 with 13 doubles, two home runs and 10 walks.
|Bryan De La Cruz||86||.206||.253||.342||7||21||47|
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price