The Chicago Cubs (38-57) and Yan Gomes (2 HR in his last game) are favored (-144) on the moneyline for their matchup with the Pittsburgh Pirates (40-56) on Monday at 8:05 PM ET. Adrian Sampson will get the ball for Chicago while Pittsburgh counter with JT Brubaker.
Table of Contents
Cubs vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cubs vs. Pirates
Our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +123 after taking a look at all of the key statistics and trends for this matchup.
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+123)
Cubs vs. Pirates Game Info
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Adrian Sampson
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: JT Brubaker
- Game Day: Monday, July 25, 2022
- Game Time: 8:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cubs Starter Adrian Sampson
- The Cubs will send Sampson (0-1) out for his sixth start of the season. He is 0-1 with a 3.62 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 32 1/3 innings pitched.
- In his most recent time out on Sunday, July 17, the righty went 5 1/3 innings against the New York Mets, giving up two earned runs while surrendering six hits.
- In seven games this season, the 30-year-old has a 3.62 ERA and 6.4 strikeouts per nine innings, while giving up a batting average of .244 to opposing hitters.
- Sampson is yet to register a quality start so far this year.
- Sampson will try to extend a six-game streak of pitching five or more innings (he’s averaging 4.2 frames per appearance).
- He will take the mound against a Pirates offense that ranks 28th in MLB with 694 total hits (on a .220 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .366 (28th in MLB) with 99 total home runs (15th in MLB).
Pirates Starter JT Brubaker
- Brubaker (2-8) will take the mound for the Pirates, his 19th start of the season.
- The right-hander did not allow a run in seven innings pitched on Wednesday, July 13 in his last outing, a matchup with the Miami Marlins.
- The 28-year-old has pitched in 18 games this season with an ERA of 4.02, a 2.425 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.415.
- He has earned a quality start five times in 18 starts this season.
- Brubaker has pitched five or more innings in seven straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Cubs rank 12th in MLB with a .245 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 13th in the league (.397) and 96 home runs.
- The right-hander has allowed the Cubs to go 14-for-57 with four doubles, a home run and five RBI in 14 2/3 innings this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have been favorites in 27 games this season and won 10 (37%) of those contests.
- Chicago has a record of 3-5 in games where sportsbooks favor them by at least -144 on the moneyline.
- The sportsbooks’ moneyline implies a 59% chance of a victory for the Cubs.
- Chicago and its opponents have hit the over in 45 of their 95 games with a total this season.
- The Cubs have an ATS record of 49-46-0 in 95 games with a spread this season.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have been chosen as underdogs in 80 games this year and have walked away with the win 31 times (38.8%) in those games.
- This season, Pittsburgh has come away with a win 23 times in 64 chances when named as an underdog of at least +123 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 44.8% chance of walking away with the win.
- Pittsburgh and their opponents have gone over in 40 of their 97 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Pirates have posted a record of 50-47-0 against the spread this season.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ian Happ has 23 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 walks while hitting .279.
- Of all hitters in the majors, Happ’s home run total places him 111th, and his RBI tally ranks him 66th.
- Happ has collected a hit in four games in a row. In his last five games he is hitting .333 with three RBI.
- Willson Contreras is hitting .258 with 19 doubles, a triple, 14 home runs and 37 walks.
- Contreras ranks 48th in home runs and 107th in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Contreras has three straight games with at least one hit. In his last five games he is hitting .200 with two doubles, a home run, two walks and two RBI.
- Nico Hoerner leads the Cubs with a .300 batting average.
- Patrick Wisdom has hit 17 home runs with 47 RBI. Both are team-highs.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .248 with 16 doubles, three triples, four home runs and 35 walks, while getting on base at a rate of .322.
- Hayes’ home run total places him 250th in the big leagues, and he ranks 176th in RBI.
- Michael Chavis has driven in the most runs for the Pirates with 32 runs batted in.
- Chavis is 96th among all hitters in the big leagues in home runs, and 156th in RBI.
- Ben Gamel is batting .244 with 11 doubles, a triple, four home runs and 26 walks.
- Diego Castillo has 10 doubles, 10 home runs and 11 walks while batting .204.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price