The Chicago Cubs (39-57) will vie for their sixth straight victory when they host the Pittsburgh Pirates (40-57) on Tuesday at 2:20 PM ET. The Cubs are listed as -183 favorites by bookmakers, while the Pirates are +155 underdogs. Chicago’s Keegan Thompson and Pittsburgh’s Bryse Wilson have been named the starters for this contest.
Table of Contents
Cubs vs. Pirates Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Cubs vs. Pirates
Our best bet is the Pirates on the moneyline at +155 after looking at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup.
Our computer pick: Pittsburgh Pirates (+155)
Cubs vs. Pirates Game Info
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Keegan Thompson
- Pittsburgh Pirates probable starting pitcher: Bryse Wilson
- Game Day: Tuesday, July 26, 2022
- Game Time: 2:20 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Matchup
Cubs Starter Keegan Thompson
- Thompson (7-4 with a 3.54 ERA and 75 strikeouts in 81 1/3 innings pitched) makes the start for the Cubs, his 13th of the season.
- His most recent time out came on Friday, July 15 against the New York Mets, when the righty went 4 1/3 innings, surrendering five earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- In 20 games this season, the 27-year-old has amassed a 3.54 ERA and 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings, while giving up a batting average of .245 to his opponents.
- Thompson has two quality starts under his belt this year.
- Thompson has seven starts this season in which he pitched five or more innings.
- He will face off against a Pirates offense that ranks 29th in MLB with 702 total hits (on a .221 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .366 (28th in MLB) with 99 total home runs (15th in MLB).
- Head-to-head against the Pirates this season, Thompson has pitched 15 innings, giving up one earned run on 10 hits while striking out 16.
Pirates Starter Bryse Wilson
- Wilson (1-5) will take to the mound for the Pirates and make his 10th start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up two earned runs in 3 1/3 innings pitched on Sunday, July 17 in his last outing, a matchup with the Colorado Rockies.
- The 24-year-old has pitched in 12 games this season with an ERA of 6.52, a 2.375 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.651.
- He has earned a quality start two times in nine starts this season.
- In nine starts this season, Wilson has lasted five or more innings four times, with an average of 4.0 innings per appearance.
- The Cubs are batting .246 this season, 12th in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .398 (13th in the league) with 97 home runs.
- This season, the right-hander has pitched against the Cubs in two games, and they have gone 11-for-34 with a double, a home run and six RBI over 8 1/3 innings.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have won 11, or 39.3%, of the 28 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Chicago has not entered a game this season as a bigger favorite on the moneyline than the -183 odds on them winning this game.
- The implied probability of a win from the Cubs, based on the moneyline, is 64.7%.
- Games involving Chicago have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 45 of 96 chances this season.
- In 96 games with a spread this season, the Cubs are 49-47-0 ATS.
Pirates Betting Picks & Insights
- The Pirates have been victorious in 31, or 38.3%, of the 81 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- This season, Pittsburgh has been victorious 12 times in 30 chances when named as an underdog of at least +155 or longer on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Pirates have a 39.2% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Pittsburgh and their opponents have gone over in 40 of their 98 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Pirates have an against the spread record of 51-47-0 in 98 games with a line this season.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ian Happ is batting .282 with 24 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 walks.
- Among all MLB hitters, Happ is 38th in batting average, 22nd in on-base percentage, and 57th in slugging.
- Happ carries a five-game hitting streak into this matchup. In his last five games he is hitting .391 with a double and three RBI.
- Willson Contreras has 20 doubles, a triple, 14 home runs and 37 walks while batting .258.
- Contreras ranks 49th in homers and 111th in RBI on the season.
- Contreras heads into this game looking for his fifth game in a row with a hit. During his last five outings he is hitting .263 with three doubles, a home run, two walks and two RBI.
- Nico Hoerner paces the Cubs with a .303 batting average.
- Patrick Wisdom has put his power on display as he paces his team with 17 home runs and 47 RBI.
Pirates Leaders & Batting Stats
- Bryan Reynolds paces the Pirates in home runs (15), runs batted in (32) and has a team-high batting average of .257.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Reynolds’ home run total is 40th and his RBI tally is 157th.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is hitting .251 with 16 doubles, three triples, four home runs and 35 walks.
- Among all MLB hitters, Hayes is 251st in home runs and 179th in RBI.
- Michael Chavis leads the Pirates with 32 runs batted in.
- Ben Gamel is hitting .245 with 12 doubles, a triple, four home runs and 27 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price