The San Francisco Giants (65-72) are favored on the moneyline (-154) in Friday’s contest against the Chicago Cubs (57-80). First pitch is at 4:05 PM ET. The Cubs, with odds, are favored against the spread (). Carlos Rodon starts for San Francisco while Drew Smyly is Chicago’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Giants vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Giants vs. Cubs
We have the Cubs on the moneyline at +132 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup.
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+132)
Giants vs. Cubs Game Info
- San Francisco Giants probable starting pitcher: Carlos Rodón
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Drew Smyly
- Game Day: Friday, September 9, 2022
- Game Time: 4:05 PM ET
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
San Francisco Giants vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
Giants Starter Carlos Rodón
- Rodon gets the start for the Giants, his 28th of the season. He is 12-7 with a 2.92 ERA and 201 strikeouts in 157 1/3 innings pitched.
- The lefty’s most recent appearance was on Sunday against the Philadelphia Phillies, when he tossed six scoreless innings while allowing five hits.
- In 27 games this season, the 29-year-old has amassed a 2.92 ERA and 11.5 strikeouts per nine innings, while allowing a batting average of .208 to opposing hitters.
- Rodon has recorded 15 quality starts this season.
- Rodon has pitched five or more innings in a game 24 times this year heading into this matchup.
- He will face a Cubs offense that ranks 16th in MLB with 1115 total hits (on a .241 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .390 (17th in MLB) with 137 total home runs (17th in MLB).
- Rodon has a 0.00 ERA and a 0.286 WHIP against the Cubs this season in seven innings pitched, allowing a .087 batting average over one appearance.
- Among pitchers who qualify in MLB play this season, the 29-year-old ranks 12th in ERA (2.92), 17th in WHIP (1.061), and first in K/9 (11.5).
Cubs Starter Drew Smyly
- The Cubs will hand the ball to Smyly (5-8) for his 20th start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last start was on Saturday, when he tossed 2 1/3 innings while giving up seven earned runs on five hits in a matchup with the St. Louis Cardinals.
- The 33-year-old has pitched in 19 games this season with an ERA of 3.84, a 3.304 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.259.
- He has four quality starts in 19 chances this season.
- Smyly has started 19 games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings 10 times. He averages 4.2 innings per appearance.
- The Giants rank 13th in MLB with 607 runs scored this season. They have a .232 batting average this campaign with 156 home runs (13th in the league).
- This season, the left-hander has pitched against the Giants in one game, and they have gone 7-for-19 with a double, two home runs and five RBI over four innings.
Giants Betting Picks & Insights
- The Giants have won 53, or 58.2%, of the 91 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- San Francisco has entered 50 games this season favored by -154 or more and is 27-23 in those contests.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 60.6% chance of a victory for the Giants.
- Games involving San Francisco have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 68 of 138 chances this season.
- The Giants are 62-75-0 against the spread in their 137 chances this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have been underdogs in 97 games this season and have come away with the win 39 times (40.2%) in those contests.
- Chicago has a win-loss record of 18-32 when favored by +132 or worse by oddsmakers this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Cubs have a 43.1% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Chicago’s games have gone over the total in 61 of their 139 opportunities.
- The Cubs are 70-69-0 against the spread in their 139 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Giants Leaders & Batting Stats
- Wilmer Flores has put up a team-best 63 runs batted in.
- Including all MLB hitters, Flores ranks 109th in batting average, 80th in on-base percentage, and 77th in slugging.
- Thairo Estrada has a club-high .260 batting average.
- Estrada ranks 123rd in homers and 90th in RBI among all MLB hitters this season.
- Joc Pederson paces the Giants with 22 home runs.
- Mike Yastrzemski has 26 doubles, two triples, 12 home runs and 55 walks while hitting .212.
- Yastrzemski is riding a three-game hitting streak into this one. In his last five games he is hitting .357 with two doubles, a triple, a walk and an RBI.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ian Happ has sent home a team-high 64 runs batted in.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Happ is 70th in homers and 50th in RBI.
- Nico Hoerner has a club-best .285 batting average.
- Hoerner is 190th in home runs and 127th in RBI among all MLB hitters this year.
- Seiya Suzuki is batting .264 with 22 doubles, a triple, 12 home runs and 37 walks.
- Christopher Morel has 16 doubles, four triples, 13 home runs and 29 walks while hitting .248.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price