The Philadelphia Phillies (49-43) roll into Friday’s matchup with the Chicago Cubs (35-57) looking to extend a three-game winning streak. The contest starts at 7:05 PM ET with the Phillies listed as -135 favorites on the moneyline. Kyle Gibson starts for Philadelphia while Justin Steele is Chicago’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Phillies vs. Cubs Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Phillies vs. Cubs
We have the Cubs on the moneyline at +115 on the moneyline as our best bet in this contest after taking a look at all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going over the total of 9 runs.
Our computer pick: Chicago Cubs (+115) and Over (9)
Phillies vs. Cubs Game Info
- Philadelphia Phillies probable starting pitcher: Kyle Gibson
- Chicago Cubs probable starting pitcher: Justin Steele
- Game Day: Friday, July 22, 2022
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: Citizens Bank Park
Philadelphia Phillies vs Chicago Cubs Pitching Matchup
Phillies Starter Kyle Gibson
- Gibson makes the start for the Phillies, his 19th of the season. He is 5-3 with a 4.35 ERA and 80 strikeouts in 97 1/3 innings pitched.
- In his last time out on Friday, the right-hander went 6 2/3 innings against the Miami Marlins, allowing one earned run while surrendering four hits.
- The 34-year-old has an ERA of 4.35, with 7.4 strikeouts per nine innings, in 18 games this season. Opposing hitters have a .247 batting average against him.
- Gibson is aiming for his third straight quality start.
- Gibson is looking for his third straight outing lasting five or more innings. He averages 5.1 frames per appearance on the mound.
- The opposing Cubs offense has the 15th-ranked slugging percentage (.390) and ranks 20th in MLB play with 88 home runs. It has a collective .243 batting average, and is 13th in MLB with 760 total hits and 20th in MLB play scoring 386 runs.
- The 34-year-old’s 4.35 ERA ranks 52nd, 1.202 WHIP ranks 38th, and 7.4 K/9 ranks 44th among qualifying pitchers this season.
Cubs Starter Justin Steele
- Steele (3-6) will take to the mound for the Cubs and make his 18th start of the season.
- The left-hander’s last appearance was on Thursday, July 14, when he threw 6 2/3 innings against the Baltimore Orioles, giving up three earned runs while allowing six hits.
- The 27-year-old has an ERA of 4.15 and 8.6 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .248 in 17 games this season.
- If he completes six or more innings with three or fewer earned runs allowed, he’ll earn his third quality start in a row.
- Steele has pitched five or more innings in eight straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Phillies have scored 431 runs this season, which ranks sixth in MLB. They have 766 hits, 11th in baseball, with 120 home runs (fifth in the league).
Phillies Betting Picks & Insights
- The Phillies have won 32, or 57.1%, of the 56 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Philadelphia has a record of 20-16 in games where bookmakers favor them by at least -135 on the moneyline.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 57.4% chance of a victory for the Phillies.
- Philadelphia and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 47 of their 92 opportunities.
- The Phillies have an ATS record of 50-42-0 in 92 games with a spread this season.
Cubs Betting Picks & Insights
- The Cubs have come away with 25 wins in the 65 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Chicago has a mark of 17-26 in contests where sportsbooks favor them by +115 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Cubs have an implied victory probability of 46.5% according to the moneyline set by sportsbooks for this matchup.
- Chicago and their opponents have hit the over in 43 of their 92 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Cubs have posted a record of 46-46-0 against the spread this season.
Phillies Leaders & Batting Stats
- Kyle Schwarber has accumulated a team-best 29 home runs and 58 runs batted in.
- Among all MLB batters, Schwarber is 148th in batting average, 95th in on-base percentage, and 19th in slugging.
- Rhys Hoskins has 17 doubles, two triples, 19 home runs and 45 walks while hitting .244.
- Hoskins ranks 18th in home runs in baseball, and 61st in RBI.
- J.T. Realmuto is batting .252 with 14 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 24 walks.
- Realmuto will look to build on his four-game hitting in this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .444 with three doubles, a home run, a walk and three RBI.
- Alec Bohm’s .276 batting average is a team-high mark.
- Bohm has recorded at least one hit in six straight games. In his last 10 games he is batting .382 with a double, a triple, two home runs, two walks and eight RBI.
Cubs Leaders & Batting Stats
- Ian Happ has 23 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 walks while batting .274.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Happ is 103rd in homers and 69th in RBI.
- Willson Contreras is batting .253 with 17 doubles, a triple, 13 home runs and 35 walks.
- Contreras is currently 51st in home runs and 112th in RBI in the big leagues.
- Nico Hoerner leads the Cubs’ lineup with a .307 batting average.
- Patrick Wisdom leads the Cubs with 17 long balls and runs batted in, driving in 46.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price