Following a two-homer game last time out, Kyle Schwarber leads the Philadelphia Phillies (43-38) into action as -224 favorites against the Washington Nationals (29-54). First pitch from Citizens Bank Park at 7:05 PM ET on Wednesday. Aaron Nola will get the ball for Philadelphia while Washington counter with Josiah Gray.
Table of Contents
Phillies vs. Nationals Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Phillies vs. Nationals
We have the Nationals on the moneyline at +185 on the moneyline as our best bet in this game after looking at all of the key trends and stats for this matchup. Our computer picks see the scoring going over the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Washington Nationals (+185) and Over (8)
Phillies vs. Nationals Game Info
- Philadelphia Phillies probable starting pitcher: Aaron Nola
- Washington Nationals probable starting pitcher: Josiah Gray
- Game Day: Wednesday, July 6, 2022
- Game Time: 7:05 PM ET
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Stadium: Citizens Bank Park
Philadelphia Phillies vs Washington Nationals Pitching Matchup
Phillies Starter Aaron Nola
- Nola makes the start for the Phillies, his 17th of the season. He is 5-5 with a 3.13 ERA and 117 strikeouts in 103 2/3 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last appeared on Thursday against the Atlanta Braves, when he went 7 2/3 innings, allowing four earned runs while giving up seven hits.
- The 29-year-old has put up an ERA of 3.13, with 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings, in 16 games this season. Opposing hitters have a .211 batting average against him.
- Nola is looking to pick up his 10th quality start of the season.
- Nola will try to pitch five or more innings for his 15th straight start. He’s averaging 6.1 innings per outing.
- The opposing Nationals offense has the 25th-ranked slugging percentage (.375) and ranks 26th in MLB play with 64 home runs. It has a collective .249 batting average, and is ninth in MLB with 693 total hits and 26th in MLB action scoring 327 runs.
- In eight innings over one appearance against the Nationals this season, Nola has a 0 ERA and a 0.625 WHIP while his opponents are hitting .154.
- The 29-year-old’s 3.13 ERA ranks 25th, .907 WHIP ranks fourth, and 10.2 K/9 ranks seventh among qualifying pitchers this season.
Nationals Starter Josiah Gray
- Gray (6-5) will take to the mound for the Nationals and make his 16th start of the season.
- The right-hander gave up six earned runs and allowed 10 hits in 5 2/3 innings pitched against the Miami Marlins on Friday.
- The 24-year-old has pitched in 15 games this season with an ERA of 4.22, a 2.514 strikeout to walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.272.
- He has earned a quality start five times in 15 starts this season.
- Gray has pitched five or more innings in six straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Phillies are batting .249 this season, ninth in MLB. They have a team slugging percentage of .421 (sixth in the league) with 106 home runs.
- The right-hander has faced the Phillies one time this season, allowing them to go 1-for-21 in six innings.
Phillies Betting Picks & Insights
- The Phillies have won 29, or 56.9%, of the 51 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Philadelphia has played as a favorite of -224 or more twice this season and split those games.
- The implied probability of a win from the Phillies, based on the moneyline, is 69.1%.
- Philadelphia’s games have gone over the total in 45 of their 81 chances.
- The Phillies are 42-39-0 against the spread in their 81 chances this season.
Nationals Betting Picks & Insights
- The Nationals have been victorious in 22, or 32.4%, of the 68 contests they have been chosen as underdogs in this season.
- This season, Washington has been victorious four times in 10 chances when named as an underdog of at least +185 or longer on the moneyline.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Nationals have a 35.1% chance of pulling out a win.
- Washington and their opponents have hit the over in 42 of their 83 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- In 83 games with a line this season, the Nationals have a mark of 34-49-0 against the spread.
Phillies Leaders & Batting Stats
- Schwarber leads the Phillies in home runs (25) and runs batted in (53).
- In all of Major League Baseball, Schwarber ranks second in home runs and 13th in RBI.
- Rhys Hoskins is batting .253 with 15 doubles, two triples, 17 home runs and 41 walks.
- Hoskins ranks 16th in homers in the majors, and 43rd in RBI.
- Nicholas Castellanos is batting .251 with 18 doubles, eight home runs and 21 walks.
- Castellanos is on a three-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last five outings he is batting .333 with a double, a home run and seven RBI.
- J.T. Realmuto has 11 doubles, two triples, seven home runs and 23 walks while hitting .244.
- Realmuto has recorded at least one hit in four straight games. In his last five games he is hitting .333 with two home runs, two walks and five RBI.
Nationals Leaders & Batting Stats
- Josh Bell has recorded a team-best batting average of .319 while pacing the Nationals in runs batted in with a mark of 47.
- Bell is 51st in home runs and 24th in RBI among all batters in the majors.
- Juan Soto has launched a team-best 15 home runs.
- Soto ranks 29th in home runs and 101st in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Nelson Cruz is hitting .241 with 12 doubles, eight home runs and 33 walks.
- Cesar Hernandez has 17 doubles, two triples and 26 walks while batting .252.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price