The Tampa Bay Rays (47-40) will play the Boston Red Sox (47-41) on Wednesday at 7:10 PM ET. Xander Bogaerts will be looking for his 98th hit of the season for the underdog Red Sox (+148) when the game gets underway at Tropicana Field. Shane McClanahan will get the ball for Tampa Bay while Boston counter with Josh Winckowski.
Table of Contents
Rays vs. Red Sox Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Rays vs. Red Sox
Our best bet is the Red Sox on the moneyline at +148 after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer projects the scoring will over the total of 7 runs.
Our computer pick: Boston Red Sox (+148) and Over (7)
Rays vs. Red Sox Game Info
- Tampa Bay Rays probable starting pitcher: Shane McClanahan
- Boston Red Sox probable starting pitcher: Josh Winckowski
- Game Day: Wednesday, July 13, 2022
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Stadium: Tropicana Field
Tampa Bay Rays vs Boston Red Sox Pitching Matchup
Rays Starter Shane McClanahan
- McClanahan aims for his 10th win when he makes the start for the Rays, his 18th of the season. He is 9-3 with a 1.73 ERA and 141 strikeouts in 104 1/3 innings pitched.
- His last time out came on Friday against the Cincinnati Reds, when the left-hander went 6 2/3 innings, surrendering one earned run while allowing three hits.
- In 17 games this season, the 25-year-old has put up an ERA of 1.73, with 12.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .178 against him.
- McClanahan is trying to prolong an 11th-game quality start streak in this matchup.
- McClanahan will try to continue a 16-game streak of lasting five or more innings (he’s averaging 6.0 frames per appearance).
- He meets a Red Sox offense that ranks fourth in the league with 417 runs while batting .260 as a squad. It has a collective .415 slugging percentage (eighth in MLB play) and has hit a total of 85 home runs (20th in MLB).
- McClanahan has pitched seven innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits while striking out seven against the Red Sox this season.
- The 25-year-old ranks second in ERA (1.73), second in WHIP (.815), and second in K/9 (12.2) among qualifying pitchers in MLB play this season.
Red Sox Starter Josh Winckowski
- The Red Sox’s Winckowski (3-3) will make his seventh start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Thursday, when he threw 5 2/3 innings against the New York Yankees, giving up six earned runs while allowing six hits.
- The 24-year-old has pitched to a 4.35 ERA this season with 6.1 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 3.5 walks per nine across six games.
- He has started six games this season, earning a quality start (6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER) in two of them.
- Winckowski has pitched five or more innings in five straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Rays have scored 363 runs this season, which ranks 22nd in MLB. They have 698 hits, 17th in baseball, with 80 home runs (22nd in the league).
Rays Betting Picks & Insights
- This season, the Rays have won 34 out of the 58 games, or 58.6%, in which they’ve been favored.
- Tampa Bay has a record of 11-6 in games where sportsbooks favor them by at least -174 on the moneyline.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 63.5% chance of a victory for the Rays.
- Tampa Bay and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 41 of their 87 opportunities.
- The Rays are 40-47-0 against the spread in their 87 chances this season.
Red Sox Betting Picks & Insights
- The Red Sox have won in 17, or 44.7%, of the 38 contests they have been named as odds-on underdogs in this year.
- The Red Sox have won all of their four games in which they were named as at least a +148 moneyline underdog.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Red Sox have a 40.3% chance of pulling out a win.
- Boston and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 37 of their 88 opportunities.
- The Red Sox are 48-40-0 against the spread in their 88 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Rays Leaders & Batting Stats
- The Rays best hitter so far this season is Yandy Diaz, who’s hitting at a team-leading .303 clip along with three homers and 23 RBI.
- Including all MLB hitters, Diaz is 17th in batting average, third in on-base percentage, and 89th in slugging.
- Randy Arozarena’s 40 runs batted in are a team-high mark.
- Arozarena ranks 85th in home runs and 66th in RBI among all major league hitters this season.
- Harold Ramirez has 15 doubles, four home runs and 16 walks while hitting .333.
- Ramirez is on a six-game hitting streak entering this contest. During his last 10 outings he is hitting .439 with five doubles, a home run, two walks and eight RBI.
- Ji-Man Choi is hitting .280 with 14 doubles, seven home runs and 38 walks.
Red Sox Leaders & Batting Stats
- Rafael Devers leads the Red Sox with 19 homers while posting a team-best batting average of .326.
- In all of the big leagues, Devers ranks 14th in home runs and 21st in RBI.
- Bogaerts is batting .311 with 22 doubles, seven home runs and 36 walks.
- Among all MLB hitters, Bogaerts ranks 142nd in homers and 89th in RBI.
- Alex Verdugo is batting .268 with 18 doubles, six home runs and 22 walks.
- J.D. Martinez is hitting .313 with 29 doubles, nine home runs and 30 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price