The Boston Red Sox (47-40) are -120 favorites when they take on the Tampa Bay Rays (46-40) on Tuesday at 7:10 PM ET. Xander Bogaerts has 97 hits on the season and will hope to hit his milestone 100th once the game begins at Tropicana Field. Boston’s Chris Sale gets the start, and he’ll go against Tampa Bay’s Corey Kluber.
Table of Contents
Red Sox vs. Rays Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Red Sox vs. Rays
Our best bet is the Rays on the moneyline at +101 after analyzing all of the key trends and statistics for this matchup. Our computer predicts the total score will over the total of 7.5 runs.
Our computer pick: Tampa Bay Rays (+101) and Over (7.5)
Red Sox vs. Rays Game Info
- Boston Red Sox probable starting pitcher: Chris Sale
- Tampa Bay Rays probable starting pitcher: Corey Kluber
- Game Day: Tuesday, July 12, 2022
- Game Time: 7:10 PM ET
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Stadium: Tropicana Field
Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays Pitching Matchup
Red Sox Starter Chris Sale
- Sale starts for the first time this season for the Red Sox.
- The 33-year-old southpaw makes his season debut and his first appearance in more than a year.
- The Rays have scored 360 total runs this season, making them MLB’s 21st-ranked scoring offense so far this season. As a team they have a .239 batting average while hitting 80 home runs (22nd in the league).
Rays Starter Corey Kluber
- The Rays will hand the ball to Kluber (4-5) for his 17th start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Wednesday, when he threw 6 2/3 scoreless innings against the Boston Red Sox while allowing three hits.
- The 36-year-old has pitched in 16 games this season with an ERA of 3.62 and 7.9 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .248.
- He has earned a quality start eight times in 16 starts this season.
- In 16 starts this season, Kluber has lasted five or more innings 12 times, with an average of 5.0 innings per appearance.
- The Red Sox rank first in MLB with a .261 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks eighth in the league (.416) and 85 home runs.
- The Red Sox have gone 14-for-46 with two doubles, a home run and four RBI in 11 innings this season against the right-hander.
Red Sox Betting Picks & Insights
- The Red Sox have entered the game as favorites 49 times this season and won 30, or 61.2%, of those games.
- This season, Boston has won 25 of its 43 games, or 58.1%, when favored by at least -120 on the moneyline.
- The implied probability of a win from the Red Sox, based on the moneyline, is 54.5%.
- Games involving Boston have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 37 of 87 chances this season.
- The Red Sox are 48-39-0 against the spread this season.
Rays Betting Picks & Insights
- The Rays have been underdogs in 28 games this season and have come away with the win 12 times (42.9%) in those contests.
- This season, Tampa Bay has been victorious nine times in 22 chances when named as an underdog of at least +101 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Rays have an implied victory probability of 49.8% according to the moneyline set by sportsbooks for this matchup.
- Tampa Bay and their opponents have hit the over in 41 of their 86 games with a total set by oddsmakers this season.
- The Rays are 39-47-0 against the spread in their 86 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Red Sox Leaders & Batting Stats
- Rafael Devers has put up a team-best batting average of .327, and paces the Red Sox in home runs (19).
- Among all hitters in the majors, Devers’ home run total places him 14th, and his RBI tally puts him 20th.
- Bogaerts has 22 doubles, seven home runs and 36 walks while batting .315.
- Bogaerts is 141st in homers and 88th in RBI among all batters in baseball.
- Bogaerts carries a three-game streak with at least one hit into this matchup. During his last five outings he is hitting .333 with a double, four walks and two RBI.
- J.D. Martinez has 29 doubles, nine home runs and 30 walks while batting .313.
- Martinez will look to build on his four-game hitting in this game. In his last five games he is hitting .350 with three doubles, a home run, two walks and four RBI.
- Alex Verdugo is batting .265 with 17 doubles, six home runs and 22 walks.
- Verdugo brings a three-game streak with at least one hit into this one. During his last five outings he is hitting .333 with two walks and four RBI.
Rays Leaders & Batting Stats
- Yandy Diaz leads the team in batting average with a mark of .307.
- In all of MLB, Diaz ranks 266th in home runs and 199th in RBI.
- Diaz has collected a hit in two straight games. In his last five games he is hitting .563 with five doubles, two walks and five RBI.
- Randy Arozarena has collected 40 runs batted in to pace his team.
- Arozarena ranks 83rd in homers and 61st in RBI among all MLB hitters this season.
- Harold Ramirez is hitting .330 with 15 doubles, four home runs and 16 walks.
- Ji-Man Choi is batting .283 with 14 doubles, seven home runs and 38 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price