The Detroit Tigers (37-55) stumble into Thursday’s matchup with the Oakland Athletics (32-61) looking to break a four-game losing streak. The contest starts at 3:37 PM ET with the Tigers listed as -125 favorites to right the ship. Tarik Skubal takes the mound for Detroit while Zach Logue is Oakland’s starter for the contest.
Table of Contents
Tigers vs. Athletics Spread and Betting Line
|Favorite||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total||Over Total Odds||Under Total Odds||Spread||Favorite Spread Odds||Underdog Spread Odds|
Computer Predictions for Tigers vs. Athletics
After looking at all of the key stats and trends for this matchup, our best bet is the Athletics on the moneyline at +108. Our computer prediction sees the scoring going under the total of 8 runs.
Our computer pick: Oakland Athletics (+108) and Under (8)
Tigers vs. Athletics Game Info
- Detroit Tigers probable starting pitcher: Tarik Skubal
- Oakland Athletics probable starting pitcher: Zach Logue
- Game Day: Thursday, July 21, 2022
- Game Time: 3:37 PM ET
- Location: Oakland, California
- Stadium: Oakland Coliseum
Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Pitching Matchup
Tigers Starter Tarik Skubal
- Skubal makes the start for the Tigers, his 19th of the season. He is 6-8 with a 3.93 ERA and 102 strikeouts through 100 2/3 innings pitched.
- His most recent appearance was on Wednesday, July 13 against the Kansas City Royals, when the lefty tossed 6 2/3 innings, surrendering four earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- The 25-year-old has an ERA of 3.93, with 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings, in 18 games this season. Opponents are hitting .249 against him.
- Skubal enters this matchup with eight quality starts under his belt this season.
- Skubal is seeking his third straight outing lasting five or more innings. He averages 5.2 innings per appearance on the hill.
- He will match up with an Athletics offense that ranks last in MLB with 642 total hits (on a .211 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .332 (30th in MLB) with 70 total home runs (29th in MLB).
- Skubal has thrown seven innings without giving up an earned run on three hits, while striking out five against the Athletics this season.
- The 25-year-old’s 3.93 ERA ranks 44th, 1.192 WHIP ranks 36th, and 9.1 K/9 ranks 17th among qualifying pitchers this season.
Athletics Starter Zach Logue
- The Athletics will send Logue to the mound for his first start this season.
- The left-hander is making his first start of the year. The 26-year-old did not make an appearance on the mound last season.
- The Tigers have scored 288 runs this season, which ranks 30th in MLB. They have 690 hits, 27th in baseball, with 53 home runs (30th in the league).
Tigers Betting Picks & Insights
- The Tigers have entered the game as favorites 19 times this season and won eight, or 42.1%, of those games.
- This season, Detroit has won six of its 12 games, or 50%, when favored by at least -125 on the moneyline.
- The oddsmakers’ moneyline implies a 55.6% chance of a victory for the Tigers.
- Games involving Detroit have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 33 of 93 chances this season.
- The Tigers have an ATS record of 43-50-0 in 93 games with a spread this season.
Athletics Betting Picks & Insights
- The Athletics have come away with 27 wins in the 79 contests they have been listed as the underdogs in this season.
- Oakland has a win-loss record of 23-48 when favored by +108 or worse by sportsbooks this year.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Athletics have a 48.1% chance of walking away with the win.
- Contests with Oakland have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in 37 of 93 chances this season.
- In 93 games with a line this season, the Athletics have a mark of 44-49-0 against the spread.
Tigers Leaders & Batting Stats
- The Tigers best power option comes in the form of Javier Baez and his nine-home-run 35-RBI season, both team highs.
- In all of MLB, Baez ranks 103rd in home runs and 112th in RBI.
- Jonathan Schoop is hitting .212 with 14 doubles, a triple, six home runs and 12 walks.
- Including all major league hitters, Schoop is 177th in home runs and 210th in RBI.
- Miguel Cabrera paces the Tigers with a .287 batting average.
- Harold Castro has 10 doubles, two triples, four home runs and nine walks while batting .281.
- Castro is riding a five-game hitting streak into this one. During his last five outings he is hitting .412 with two doubles, two walks and two RBI.
Athletics Leaders & Batting Stats
- Elvis Andrus is hitting .225 with 20 doubles, six home runs and 27 walks.
- Among all hitters in MLB, Andrus is 177th in home runs and 193rd in RBI.
- Andrus brings a hitting streak of three games into this game. In his last five games he is hitting .211 with two walks and three RBI.
- Sean Murphy’s .241 batting average paces his team.
- Murphy ranks 103rd in homers and 99th in RBI among all major league hitters this season.
- Seth Brown has been solid source of run production for the Athletics with 10 long balls and 38 runs batted in.
- Ramon Laureano is hitting .236 with 13 doubles, nine home runs and 21 walks.
Sign up for a FREE Consultation to start working with Legendary Sports Bettor Jon Price